Beowulf and Grendel Story for Children

The story of Beowulf may not be too appropriate for children because of so much violence involved. Aside from the violence, the old original English poem is quite hard for kids to read and understand.

Fortunately, it’s a huge thanks to all talented writers that we now have today for rewriting the story to a more friendly and suitable versions for young readers.

There are actually so many books today about Beowulf and his battles against monsters like Grendel and his mother catered for kids. But among all these books, I would like to recommend the version called, “Dover Children’s Classics” by Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall.

Reading this version of Beowulf’s story will take you into a gripping adventures where it features one highly decorated hero who can overcome the impossible odds. Almost any kind of stories that involves one powerful heroic character is actually very appealing to small children.

Beowulf

Beowulf was one legendary hero of the ancient past who conquered and defeated a lot of evil monsters that threatened the lives of mankind. But among those battles, three of the most exciting and entertaining battles are what’s featured on this book.

There will be so much fun and excitement as the story takes you into an intensifying clash between a mere human against monsters.

First, Beowulf faces an ogre like creature, “Grendel”. Second was Grendel’s mother. And third, was a gigantic flying dragon.

Aside from Beowulf’s foes, the story will feature how the Scandinavian lived their lives in the sixth century.

I bought this book for my children

My children loves to hear stories which I regularly deliver to them every weekend when they have no classes. I think that I already read to them every popular children stories out there. So I needed to find one unique story to tell and this was how I came across with this book about Beowulf.

There are a total of 10 chapters containing 5 pages each. So on every story-telling time, I read them just one chapter leaving them hanging about what’s going to happen next. It’s like watching your favorite drama series.

Unfortunately, my eldest child who is at his 10 years of age took the book and read it entirely. I am so surprised that he was able to read it and understood every aspects of the story. This made me realized that the vocabulary words used by the author isn’t really that too difficult for a kid to understand.

Kids Reading Books

As for the rest of my children, I just let their eldest brother re-read the book and told them the entire story which they pretty much enjoyed it until the end.

Conclusion

As I stated above, there are many other versions of the story of Beowulf written in a manner that is acceptable for young children to read. It just happened that this story book that I first bought exceeded my expectation.

What I like most is how the author put all the story together using basic modern English words that children can easily read and understand without so much effort.


Have you already bought this book? You might want to tell us your experience too.

No comments:

Post a Comment